Poker basics refer to understanding the structure of the 52 deck card game. The poker basics that one needs to master is easy like understanding the rankings of the cards, rankings of suits, basic terminologies relating to poker hands, basic terms relating to the betting round etcetera.
Though there are hundreds of terminologies, an overview of basics can put you in a better place to play. Of course, in depth study increases skill set.
The poker basics relating to ranking of the cards:-
• A-K-Q-J-T-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2 is the sequence of the cards from the high rank to the lowest rank.
• Of note, you need to understand that an Ace has a dual role, it can perform to be the lowest in 5-4-3-2-A combination and can perform high in A-K-Q-J-T
Poker basics regarding to what makes a Poker hand suggest:-
• Pair – Combinations like 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7, two cards of the same rank of any suit contribute a pair.
• No Pair – Where there are no two cards of the same rank, the collection is said to have no pair.
• Three-of-a-Kind – Combinations like 2-2-2, 3-3-3, 4-4-4, 5-5-5, 6-6-6, 7-7-7 three cards of the same rank of any suit contribute to three of a kind.
• Four-of-Kind – Combinations like 5-5-5-5, 6-6-6-6, 7-7-7-7, 8-8-8-8, 9-9-9-9, T-T-T-T, four card of the same rank of any suit contribute to four of a kind.
• Straight – A-2-3-4-5 or K-Q-J-T-A or any combination of ranks from high to low without missing any number in between is called a straight; the order of numbers can be formed from different suits.
• Flush – Straight cards that belong to the same suit.
• Royal flush – A-K-Q-J-T that belongs to the same suit is called royal flush.
• Straight flush- Any straight with similar suits.
• Full House – Consist of three of a kind and a pair.
Understanding the poker basics of ranking and the formation of a poker hand is very important. Apart from that, one needs to understand the poker basics of betting structure like:-
• Limit – There is a limitation of the amount that can be called in a bet or raise.
• No limit – There is no limit on the amount that can be called in a bet or raise.
• Pot limit – At any given time, the bet or raise should be more than the existing pot limit.